Right now, I'm sitting at Ben Gurion airport. I'm a week early for my vacation but I'm not going home for good reasons. My grandmother is ill and I'll probably elaborate another time but for now I will keep quiet. I don't want this post to be a sad one, I want you to find humor in my lack of sleep. That's right, folks, I haven't really slept in two days.
I have a couple of things I want to point out to you. They're things you notice in the airport.
- The loud talker: there's always that ONE person who is extremely loud at the gate. Usually, I am not that person. Sometimes I am if I'm REALLY tired and Craig is with me. Right now, I'm alone. The loud talker is a Russian guy. There's nothing worse than a loud talker who is speaking in a language you don't understand! It takes the fun out of them speaking loudly. If you're going to speak loudly- I want to hear about your conversation.
- The temperature: WHY IS THE AIRPORT SO BLOODY COLD??? Nuff said.
- Lack of electrical plugs near seats: What's up with that??? I need to charge my laptop but I can't find a plug to save my life... or computer.
- Avoidance: ever notice how people avoid sitting next to someone they don't know? I just watched a girl search for an open seat for 5 minutes before giving up and sitting on the floor. There are open seats everywhere - even next to me but she chose the floor so she doesn't have to interact. Lame. AND rude.
- The stares: So far, I've noticed at least 4 people staring at me. Perhaps it's because I took my sandals off to put socks on underneath other sandals. Perhaps it's because I'm wrapped up in a scarf (see point #2). Maybe it's because I have a bit of a baby bump going on (story for another time). Regardless of their reason, STOP STARING and come talk to me. I promise, I'm nice. Most of the time.
These are the things I've noticed in the airport today. My flight attendants are sitting not far from me, they look kind of nice. They can't be any more obnoxious than the folks from Malev airlines (apparently they still don't like Jews... or so I want to believe). I'll give Lufthansa a try and see how they do.
I'm going to make one more note before I head off - the guy behind me has gum. Who wants to take bets on whether I asked for a piece? I'm not really up for social interaction today but I really want gum!!!!
Sweet dreams my friends! Only 18 more hours until I'm in Detroit!